Budapest’s largest public square was created in 1896 to mark the 1,000 anniversary of the country’s birth. The impressive square is located at the end of Andrassy Avenue and next to City Park. The neo-classical buildings of the Museum of Fine Art and the Kunsthalle (Hall of Art) can be seen on the edges of the square. The square is easily reached by underground and the Heroes’ Square underground station is one of the oldest in the world. It has been operating since 1896 and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The main attraction of Hosok Tere is the Millennium Monument which was completed in 1929 and stands in the middle of the square. The monument honors the Magyar tribes which founded the country. A tall central column is topped with a statue of the Archangel Gabriel holding a crown and the double cross of Christianity. At the foot of the column are equestrian statues of the seven Magyar chieftains. Behind the monument on either side are two curved colonnades each with six pillars. Between the pillars are statues of famous Hungarian kings and important Hungarian historic figures. Although the monument was constructed under the Habsburgs five of the spaces on the colonnade which were intended for Habsburg royals were used instead for statues of Hungarian freedom fighters following WWII. On top of the colonnades are symbolic statues of Knowledge and Glory, War, Peace, Work and Welfare.
The square has been the site of many political and social gatherings including the ceremony of the reburial of Imre Nagy, a revolutionary leader who fought against the Soviet occupation in 1956 and was eventually executed. Thousands gathered in the square to honor him with a ceremonial reburial in 1989.