One of Budapest’s greatest landmarks is this beautiful church which stands on the Pest side of the city. The church construction was completed in 1906 having taken 50 years to build. The long construction period accounts for the eclectic style of the architecture. The design was based on drawings by Jozsef Hild and later Miklos Ybl was appointed to complete the project. The decorative work was completed by Jozsef Kauser. The church is named after King Stephan(975-1038), the first king of Hungary.
The church holds many exquisite frescoes, mosaics, statues and beautiful altar pieces. 150 kinds of marble brought from around the country were used in the construction and decoration. The massive church can hold 8,500 worshipers, it has a Greek cross ground plan and the overall style is neo-Classical. The façade has two bell towers, the south tower holds the largest bell in the country and the north tower holds another 5 bells. It is possible to take a tour of the church, visit the church for free and visit the Treasury and tower for a fee. From the top of the tower, (which is open to visitors from April to October) there are spectacular views across the city. You can either climb the 364 stairs or take the elevator to the top. In the Szent Jobb Kapolna Chapel on the left of the church is the mummified hand of St. Stephen called the Holy Right.